Friday, February 27, 2009

Why I blogged SS501.




So I still haven't explain why I chose to blog SS501. A lot of it has to do with watching them on the MBS program called "Thank You for Waking Me Up". This show goes by some other name too. Rarely do you get to see your idols sleep and watching these young men struggle to get up was funny (because of all the pranks) and heartbreaking. I don't know how much of the show was set up and how much of it is reality, but it is really funny to watch.

Another reason why I chose SS501 is because like the number 501 has a meaning to them, it also has a meaning for me. Not only is 501 my home address number, 501 has a special meaning to me in Chinese. In addition, the boy band started in 2005 around the same time when I moved out of my parents place to the address 501.


Lastly, from what I have seen in interview videos and some reality TV shows, these young men are very down to earth. SS501 consist of very polite young individuals who are very shy. The shiest one being Young Saeng.
I think Young Saeng is also the most self-conscious. I don't believe SS501 is the best Korean singers/dancers, but I love their dancing and music. They are still very young and have a lot to learn. But they have improved and changed a lot since their debut in 2005. I wish they will sing something that is completely in Korean instead of combining it with English. It seems very popular in Korea to have a little bit of English in their lyrics though. I don't know why, but it is very hip right now.

I think DSP Entertainment did a very good job promoting SS501. Having them on reality TV shows really help their image. It is unfortunate that their promotion focus mainly on the Asia continent. It would be nice to see them in the US. I honestly don't know what the fan base in US is like, but if people are requesting videos the be English subbed, it can't be small, right?
It is also very unfortunate that you can't purchase their CDs/DVDs in the US. Even when I go to yesasia.com, most of what is available is in the Japanese language. I don't know where oversea Korean fans get their music, but I am guessing they download them online. If anyone knows a reputable online site to get music videos, CDs, or downloadable songs online please let me know.

The link below will take you to quainte501 playlist on youtube.com that has a lot of SS501 music video. Enjoy!
SS501 music videos

1 comment:

  1. I saw some of their stuff on Itunes if this helps you any. ^_^

    ReplyDelete